Tomorrow, Friday, May 22 will be a CiTi Pause, where all staff and students are to unplug at noon to spend the afternoon focusing on mindfulness. The theme for the afternoon is gratitude, as it is the best medicine. As Aesop said, gratitude turns what we have into enough.
Here are 7 mindful practices for tomorrow afternoon to choose from:
- Think of 5 people in your life that you miss, that bring you joy, that you’re thankful for or who inspire you. Write a note or letter to each one and send it to them as an act of kindness.
- Start a gratitude journal or a gratitude board where you can write about or put pictures up of the blessings in your life. (Studies show that those who keep a journal detailing gratitude are 25% happier than those who don’t!)
- Make a gratitude playlist. Sit outside or find your favorite place of peace in your home to listen, and just be.
- Go for a walk! Check out Oswego County’s public trails.
- Bake bread! Yep, you read that right. You can do this with your family, and reflect on the things you are thankful for as you break bread together.
- Color! Here are some positive self-talk coloring pages.
- Meditate. Ten Percent Happier is a site that facilitates an exercise each weekday with the world’s best meditation teachers. Here’s one focusing on gratitude.