The CiTi School Improvement Team is focused on supporting teachers and leaders with the implementation of high quality, rigorous curriculum and the continuous improvement of instruction aligned with the Common Core and Instructional Shifts. We offer a variety of Teacher Networks, professional learning opportunities, classroom observations with coaching follow up support, and customized planning and facilitation. Please contact us to discuss your needs.
Next Generation ELA Standards Professional Development Menu
- Overview of implementation timeline and changes between the CCSS and NGLS P1G1—40 min.
- Background information of what lead up to the revisions of the NGLS, an overview of the Preface and Introductory Documents. Video Streaming Format P1G2—3 videos 25 min. each
- Review and discuss NGLS Preface, and Introduction to ELA Standards documents highlighting the impact to current standards, instruction, and assessment. P1G2—60-90 min.
- Review and discuss Literacy Briefs to gain a deeper explanation of concepts embedded in NGLS standards. P1G2—60-90 min.
- Review and discuss Lifelong Practices for Readers and Writers P1G2—40 min.
- Facilitate discussions for how revisions to NGLS impacts Curriculum Planning P1G2—60-90 min.
- Facilitate teacher or department team discussions that examine current curriculum compared to NGLS standards to determine changes needed P2G1—40 min.
- Present how NGLS affects needs of all students. Include the use of: Early Learning Standards Introduction, Blueprint for Improved Results for Students with Disabilities, Blueprint for ELL Success. P1G2—60-90 min.
- Facilitate curriculum revision process that guides teachers through constructing ELA/Literacy Units aligned to NGLS P2G1—40 min.
- Facilitate a process to review current/new instructional strategies within curriculum units aligning to Lifelong Practices & Instructional Briefs P2G2—40 min.
- Planning for differentiated instruction that meets NGLS P2G2—60-90 min. Connecting Oswego County Literacy Initiative Practices to NGLS Standards P1G2—60-90 min.
- Planning writing instruction that supports advanced literacy skills P2G2—60-90 min.
- Facilitate curriculum process that guides teachers through integrating Literacy Standards into Content Area Instruction P2G2—60-90 min.
- Effective Literacy Practices that support struggling readers at the Intermediate & Secondary Level P2G2—60-90 min.
- Overview of implementation timeline and changes between the CCSS and NGLS related to Early Learning Standards P1G1 - 60 min.
- Review and discuss Introduction to Early Learning Standards & ELA Standards documents highlighting developmentally appropriate practices. P1G2—60 min.
- Provide context for how revisions to NGLS impacts Curriculum Planning for Early Childhood Classrooms P1G2—60 min.
- Review and discuss Blueprint for Improved Results for Students with Disabilities P1G2—40 min.
- Review and discuss Blueprint for ELL Success P1G2—40 min.
- Facilitate district level discussions that coordinate development of a PD plan to effectively implement NGLS by 2020-2021 school year. For Administrators P1G3—60/90 min. sessions
- Facilitate process to review current/new instructional strategies within Early Childhood curriculum units aligning to High Quality Learning Environment criteria P2G2—40 min.
- Demonstrate how to write Learning Targets aligned to NGLS P2G1—60-90 min.
- Creating essential questions to deepen learning P2G1—60-90 min.
PROJECTED TIMELINE FOR NEXT GENERATION STANDARDS AND ASSESSMENTS
- Raise Awareness—Phase 1 (P1) Winter 2018-Winter/Spring 2019
2 Day Assessments— Current Standards PD on NGSS
- Build Capacity—Phase 2 (P2) Spring 2019—Summer 2020
2 Day Assessments— Current Standards Continued PD on NGSS
- Full Implementation—Phase 3 (P3) 2020—Ongoing
September 2020 Full Implementation of NGSS Spring 2021 New 3-8 Assessments
Please speak to us about your dietary needs. Our chef can tailor any menu to meet your specific dietary needs such as; chunking larger menu items, number of people requesting the menu item, frequency of delivery, the venue to which the menu item (s) can be delivered, as well as specific substitutions. To place an order, please contact Carri Waloven: email@example.com, 315.963.4496.
Next Generation Mathematics Learning Standards Professional Development Menu
- Introduction to the New York Next Generation Math Learning Standards
Start your meal with the basics - a light and fresh overview of the mathematics standards review and changes. The creamy blending of the 6 areas of; move standards to different grade levels, provide for students to explore standards, clarification of standards, maintain the rigor of the standards, add and consolidate standards, and create a glossary of verbs lends itself to a dish worth sampling. 40 minutes – Phase 1, Goal 1
- Roadmap Phase 1
A beautiful selection of pre-made videos just ready for your enjoyment. Our attention to detail allows you to use the whole video series or just clips to whet your appetite for a hearty entrée. These videos can be stand alone or combined with other starters for a larger crowd. 25 minutes (each video) - Phase 1, Goal 1
- The Standards of Mathematical Practice
Who doesn’t love a deep dish of the 8 mathematical practices. With each bite, the individual practices are savored and at the same time the overall flavor of how they are used throughout the standards to bring deeper understanding is savored. Served with a teacher activity to demonstrate the practices. 60 minutes – Phase 2, Goal 2
- Crosswalks and snapshots
This delightful mix of current and next generation standards will give the flavor of the richness of the content, skills, and instruc-tional considerations when beginning the dive into the standards both within and surrounding grade levels. This dish allows time for dialogue and discussion to savor the changes and overall design of the standards. 45 minutes - Phase 1, Goal 2
- Navigating the NY Next Generation Math Learning Standards Document – How the learning standards will affect ALL learners
A classic mix of vertical and horizontal progressions in the standards document make for a perfect entrance into understanding how the document can clarify and enhance teaching at any grade level. Garnished with the document’s attention to coherence, the ability to use the document for scaffolding is divine. 45 minutes – Phase 1, Goal 2
- Examination of current materials in preparation for implementation
A carefully prepared look at the current curriculum sets the stage for changes and instructional considerations. Units are examined in bite sized portions to ensure future curriculum work is properly placed and focused. For a heart-ier dish, may we suggest our selection of entrees. 90 minutes – Phase 2, Goal 1
- Scaffolding changes within lessons to reflect the new learning standards
A distinctly crafted combination of reviewing, revising, and creating fresh from scratch lessons from the current curriculum designed to maximize student learning. Layered with scaffolds to provide low floor – high ceiling tasks make this entrée complex and filling. Full day – Phase 2, Goals 1, 2
- Student focused instruction
A satisfying lesson creation experience topped off with student engage-ment and owned learning. Each of these two-piping hot instructional methods; 3 act math and the Question Formulation Technique offer a delicious way to engage students and have students drive their own instruction. Mixed in with lessons during a unit, they provide maximum effect size in student achievement. Half day for each selection (3 act math, QFT) – Phase 2, Goal 2
- Establishing coherence in teaching the new standards
Nothing is more exquisite than a rich unit that is shared by all. Spiced up with contributions from teachers in a common grade/grade band with different “gourmet” talents will create a common teaching model with valid and reliable lessons. Half day – Phase 2, Goals 1, 3
- Assessment changes – formative and summative
Crisp formative and robust summative assessments are crafted, de-signed, and revised with the new learning standards in the forefront. Classic questions such as, “Are we assessing what we really want to assess?” and “Are our tests a valid measure of student growth/achievement with the NYSMLS?” are mixed with time to craft superior and rich assessments to drive instruction. Full day – Phase 2, Goal 4
*(All entrees are served with sides of the EQuIP rubric, Instructional Practice Guide, and Core Action Model for Mathematics.)
- Rich Discussion and Mathematical Discourse
No candy-coating here, just fresh ideas to promote mathemati-cal discourse. “Talking math” serves up a wonderful combina-tion of savory deep understanding with the sweetness of stu-dents owning their mathematical knowledge. 120 minutes – Phase 2, Goal 3
- Mathematical Literacy through Academic Vocabulary and Language
Drenched in both tier two and three academic vocabulary, become adept at using the vocabulary of the learning standards is a blend of both teacher and student practice. Here, vocabulary “lessons” are house-made by teachers that are infused within current lessons. 90 minutes – Phase 2, Goal 3
Please speak to us about your dietary needs. Our chef can tailor any menu to meet your specific dietary needs such as; chunking larger menu items, number of people requesting the menu item, the venue to which the menu item(s) can be delivered, as well as specific substitutions.
- Introduction to the New York Next Generation Math Learning Standards