Oswego County P-TECH
Why Advanced Manufacturing?
Central New York (CNY) includes Syracuse Metropolitan area located in Onondaga County as well as Cayuga, Cortland, Madison and Oswego counties. While the region has a manufacturing legacy, over the past decade it has developed particular strength and expertise in emerging clusters such as bio, bioprocessing, and medical devices, as well as electronic and wireless devices such as sensors, radar, and information technologies.
In addition, the region is emerging as a national leader in the area of clean technology, particularly related to renewable energy and environmental systems. Being located at the center of a corridor that has one of the highest concentrations of undergraduate and graduate students in the country (10 four-year institutions and 8 two-year institutions) has helped transition the region to a knowledge-based economy. In addition, the regional workforce is consistently rated as one of the most highly productive nationally. These points of pride make our region attractive to businesses looking for a home.
- In 2009, manufacturing employed 33,278 people in CNY.
- Manufacturing generated over $1.8 billion or 17.2% of the private sector wages.
- By 2018 it is estimated that there will be 14 million new jobs requiring skills for those with associate degrees.
- Advanced Manufacturing represents 10% of the entire region's total employment.
- Upstate New York is home to more manufacturing jobs as a percentage than the state of NY or the United States as a whole.
- Upstate out paces employment in manufacturing by 4% over the state average and 5% over the national average.
We have a wide range of companies in an array of different specialties looking for skilled employees. Our Industry Partners, Davis-Standard, Fulton Companies, Huhtamaki, Novelis, and Sunoco Ethanol are just a few of a growing list.
Connect with Oswego County P-TECH on social media