Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention and Services (APPS)
The mission of the Center for Instruction, Technology & Innovation's Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention and Services (APPS) Project is to coordinate the provision of high quality and innovative APPS strategies for the residents of the county. Our intervention strategies will focus on the reduction of premature sexual activity and parenthood, which present potential long term medical, social, economic and psychological problems to adolescents, their families, the children they bear, and society at large.
CiTi provides counseling and education on human sexuality and health issues to students in area schools. Services are confidential.
CiTi's APPS program has been a great success. We have seen teen pregnancy rates drop faster than the national and state averages and we have dramatically increased teen prenatal care. As a result, fewer teens are becoming pregnant and those who do are having healthier births.
Teen Pregnancy Facts:
• In the U.S., close to 1 million teens get pregnant each year.
• The U.S. has the highest teen pregnancy rate of all the industrialized countries.
• Almost one-third of teen girls will become pregnant.
• 80% of teen pregnancies are not planned.
• Half of all teen pregnancies happen within 6 months of their first time having sex.
• The teen pregnancy rate is dropping in Oswego County because teens are making healthy decisions.