Funding Options

  • Financial Aid (Title IV) is available for certificate programs, along with multiple funding stream opportunities for all programs. Financial assistance availability changes annually. Students should contact the school Financial Aid Advisor for up-to-date information as well as investigate options on their own. Students have rights and responsibilities associated with various types of financial aid. Specific written information is available through the Financial Aid Office. Continuation of all aid is based on a student maintaining satisfactory academic progress and meeting established attendance requirements.

    Federal Financial Aid (Title IV) Options

    • Pell Grants
    • Direct Subsidized Loans
    • Direct Unsubsidized Loans
    • Direct PLUS Loans (Parent

    Other Financial Assistance Options

    • CiTi Payment Plans
    • Private Alternative Student Loans
    • Grants and Scholarships: ACCES-VR, AmeriCorps Education Award, Bureau of Indian Affairs, Children of a Deceased Public Servant, Children of POW, MIA, Deceased/Disabled Vets, County Departments of Employment and Training, Department of Veteran Affairs, Private Scholarships/Employers/Unions, NYS Aid to Native Americans, Vietnam or Persion Gulf Veteran Tuition Awards.

Descriptions of Financial Aid Sources

  • Pell Grants:

    Eligible Programs:

    • Medical Assisting, Practical Nursing

    Pell Grants are based on individual need as determined by the United States Department of Education, based on an annual congressionally-approved formula, which is applied consistently to all applicants. The formula uses the information provided on a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) financial aid form. The total cost of attending the program, for full-time enrollment status, will determine the actual amount of a Pell Grant. Pell Grants must be applied for each academic year. Students attending within one academic year (July through June) submit one application. Students attending over more than one academic year (January through December) submit two applications. There is no repayment required for a Pell Grant unless a student drops from the program and has been overpaid. Students may apply online at Electronic signatures with which to sign the online application may be obtained at The school code is 012783 (Oswego County BOCES Adult Careers Center).


    Direct Student Loans/Parent Loans: 

    Eligible Programs:

    • Medical Assisting, Practical Nursing

    CiTi participates in the Direct Subsidized Stafford, Unsubsidized Stafford and Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) programs. The school and the U.S. Department of Education, in compliance with Title IV regulations, determine eligibility. A student must be enrolled in at least one-half of the full-time program hours to be eligible for the loans. A student must complete a FAFSA and have a valid Institutional Student Information Record (ISIR) that establishes Pell Grant eligibility before applying for a loan. Maximum amounts per year are $5,500 for dependent students and $9,500 for independent students. Through a PLUS loan, parents may borrow up to the cost of attendance less other financial aid for dependent students. Students/parents may apply for loans prior to enrollment or any time throughout the program. Students and/or parents who are interested in loans must sign a master promissory note online at Students must also complete Entrance and Exit Counseling and Informed Borrowing requirements on


    CiTi Payment Plans: 

    With the approval of the Financial Aid Advisor, students may enter into a payment plan via a Payment Contract. The contract evenly spreads the cost over the length of the program. There are no fees associated with the payment contract. The contract must be signed and returned prior to the course start date. All payments will be made to CiTi with acceptable forms of payment being cash, a cashier's check or money order, or MasterCard or VISA. Any payment received after the established due date may result in late fees or termination from the course.


    Alternative Private Student Loans:

    Alternative student loans are provided by private lenders, such as banks (Wells Fargo). Before you take out a private loan, be sure that you have fully explored all federal funding options. Alternative loans often require a credit check and may require a co-signer. Depending on the outcome of your credit check, these loans tend to be more expensive. Alternative student loans may be used to fill the gap between your federal aid and your Cost of Attendance. Alternative loans are an option if federal aid is unavailable to you.



    Financial assistance through the Adult Career and Continuing Education Services – Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES-VR) Office. ACCES-VR provides vocational counseling and rehabilitation services that result in successful employment outcomes for individuals with disabilities and their employers. Contact 1-800-782-6164. Applies to most programs. 


    AmeriCorps Education Award:

    After successfully completing your AmeriCorps term of service, you are eligible to receive the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award.  You can use the award to repay qualified student loans and to pay current educational expenses at eligible institutions of higher education and training programs. You can access the award in full or in part until the total amount is used or until the award expires. The award expires seven years from the date it is earned.


    Bureau of Indian Affairs:

    Financial assistance for eligible Native American students who are at least one-quarter American Indian, Eskimo, or Aleut and are an enrolled member of a federally recognized tribe. Must be a full-time student. Students may contact the U.S. Department of Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs, 100 South Clinton Street, Federal Building Room 523, PO Box 7366, Syracuse, New York 13261-7366. May not apply to all programs.


    Children of a Deceased Public Servant:

    A scholarship for a child of a deceased police officer, firefighter or volunteer firefighter who has died as a result of injuries sustained in the line of duty. This award provides a varying amount annually to recipients. May not apply to all programs. Contact 1-888-697-4372. Actual tuition costs or SUNY undergraduate tuition, whichever is less. Must apply by May 1 of the academic year for which you want aid.


    Children of POW, MIA, Deceased/Disabled Vets: 

    Awards for children of service-connected deceased, or at least 40 percent disabled veterans, or former POWs or MIAs as a result of service in certain conflicts. This award provides up to $450 annually to recipients. May not apply to all programs. Contact 1-888-697-4372. Must apply by May 1 of the academic year for which you want aid.


    County Departments of Employment and Training

    County-based agencies that help clients manage their careers (Career Connections, Workforce Development, One-Stop, New York Works).  One function is to help eligible candidates pay for career training. Potential funding through the Oswego County Department of Employment and Training is typically capped at $4,000; amounts in other counties vary. The application process is rigorous, requiring motivation and time commitment on the part of the client. Applies to most programs. Must apply to the county office in which one resides. 


    Department of Veterans Affairs:

    Qualifying veterans and other eligible individuals may obtain financial assistance for the majority of the health occupations programs. This is in accordance with the provisions of Section 1776, Title 38, U.S. Code. Contact 1-800-827-1000.


    Private Scholarships/Employers/Unions: 

    Applicants are encouraged to seek out funding through private scholarship sources (Catholic Charities, On Point for College etc.), and through their current employer and through local unions (CSEA, SAANYS etc.).

    NYS Aid to Native Americans: 

    State grants for up to $1,000 per year to Native Americans or their children who are members on the official tribal roll of a NYS tribe. To be eligible, students must be high school graduates, must reside on one of New York's eight major reservations and must attend a New York State post-secondary institution that has been approved by the Board of Regents (Practical Nursing only). Apply to Native American Education Unit, NYS Education Department, Education Building Annex, Room 374, Albany, NY 12234 or call 1-518-474-0537. Apply by July 15 for the fall semester and December 31 for the spring semester.

    Vietnam Veteran (VVTA) or Persian Gulf Veteran (PGVTA) Tuition Award: 

    Financial assistance to eligible veterans who served in either of these conflicts. To be eligible, students must be a New York State resident who is matriculated full or part-time, and must complete the FAFSA, Express TAP Application, and corresponding supplement form (available in the Financial Aid Office). Maximum award is $1,000 per clock-hour program. May not apply to all programs. Must apply by May of the academic year for which you want aid.